- 4 weeks
- Software: Autodesk Maya
- Time: 9am-11am, 11am-1pm, 1pm-3pm, 3pm-5pm, 5pm-7pm(evening)
- Study mode: Full Time (Weekdays 9am-5pm) or Evening (5pm-7pm) and Weekend (on request 10am-4pm)
- Requirements: Intermediate knowledge of 3D Software
- Calendar: Mar 6-Mar 31, May 29-June 23
From Basics to Portfolio Bring your 3D Character to life!
In this advanced training series of 4 weeks from basics to portfolio you will develop the artistic and technical skills needed to be successful as a character animator. We will provide you with hands-on instruction and valuable industry insights. You’ll start the course by learning how to animate a bouncing ball. You will learn the critical principles of animation like weight and overlapping action, convey emotions effectively like joy, devastation and concern, learn to express different weights, create a stylized walk cycle to showcase personality and emotion. When you graduate you will receive a Certificate of Completion and leave with an exciting 15 second demo reel.
Who is this course designed for?
This course is for intermediate and advanced users of Autodesk Maya who want to make a career in 3D character animation. Learn from Nigeria’s proven, trusted Character Acting curriculum – the same curriculum taught in big international studios use. The training goes beyond the theory to help you truly understand the art and craft of animation. Work with industry-quality characters and assets and create an amazing demo reel full and then prepare yourself to apply for a job as a character animator.
What system configuration will I need?
Students should bring their laptops which should meet or exceed the following hardware configurations.
- Windows® 10, Windows® 8, Windows® 7 or Mac OS
- 32-bit/64-bit Intel or AMD multi-core processor
- 2 GB of RAM minimum (8 GB recommended)
- 16 GB of free disk space for installation
- Qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL® graphics card
- 3-button mouse
Students will qualify for a certificate of training only if the pass the assessment exam at the end of the training course. Final score is based on attendance (10%), tests (30%) and a final examination (60%) based on the standard grading system
This course is a great start for students who are already very familiar with Maya. We adopt a simple production-based training methodology and our students gain valuable inside knowledge from our years of hands-on experience in 3D animation.
INTRODUCTION TO ACTING (1 day)
• What is acting? Playing a role
• Improvising with Voice and speech
• Body Mechanics
PRINCIPLES OF ANIMATION (3 days)
• 12 Principles of Animation (Overshoot, anticipation, secondary motion etc)
• 2D planning process
• Paths of Actions
• Animating a bouncing ball
• Playblast for review
• Using graph editor to perfect motion
• Homework – Students will practice the basic principles on simple primitives
BODY MECHANICS (5 days)
• Scene referencing and working with passes
• Doing additional animation passes
• Bi-pedal character movement
• Quad-pedal or four legged movement
• Homework Student exercises include Heavy Lift, walking and running
ADVANCED BODY MECHANICS AND PANTOMIME ACTING (6 days)
• Fine tuning your Advanced Body Mechanics
• Overlapping actions
• Acting through pantomime
• Dealing with intense physical action shots with Weight pushes, pulls and lifts
FACIAL ACTING AND LIP SYNC (3 days)
• Making the right acting choices
• Facial Animation
• lip synchronization techniques
POLISHING (1 day)
• Tuning your shots
• Working with continuity across cuts
• Planning and blocking process for a substantial length of dialog
• Improve believability and appeal
PORTFOLIO AND REEL DEVELOPMENT (1 day)
• Putting It All Together/Work Day using Premiere Pro
• Adding Sound Effects and music
• Finishing and exporting the final 15 sec video
• Final Exam – Student must work on their character Project to finish their animation reel development for final Assessment. Instructor will review the finished piece for their personal portfolio and student will be graded.
FINAL VIEWING PARTY! Kick back, relax, and watch student reel